1. To school or not to school?
I'm not typically a year-round home-schooler. Our summer schedules (see #2) don't usually lend themselves to it. However, I need to get Z back in the home-school groove somehow, and E needs to press on in math.
2. One child with 3 mornings of gymnastics scheduled; one with 3 afternoons!
3. I promised myself that I would not commit to anything this summer other than one week of VBS. No basketball camps, swimming lessons, dance class, art camp, or whatever looks too good to pass up; I'm passing.
This one has already posed a challenge to my "try it all" spirit. But so far, so true. I want to be able to say "yes" to impromptu times with friends. I want to take a day to drive to the beach without feeling bad about what we paid for that we're missing. I don't want the summer to pass us by this year!
4. Reading. Most summers I offer the kids some kind of reading challenge. They read X number of books, I'll get them the Y they've wanted.
This year, I decided to make it monetary (don't judge). For every 100 pages read they earn $2 up to 500 pages. For every 100 pages after 500, they get $3 for 600 to 1000 pages. If they pass 1000, they get $4 for every 100 pages. My husband actually thinks I'm being cheap. I was just going to make it $2 for every 100 pages period. But I compromised with the sliding scale.
5. Our dear friends and former neighbors are moving to Boston!
Yeah! I can see the blog again :) I need to do one of these lists. Or summer will get away from me and I don't want that to happen. Good list! And I don't think you're being cheap at all. Reading should be reward enough. At least that's what I tell myself all the time ;)
ReplyDelete