Tuesday, July 24, 2012

All the Livelong Day!

Recently, I listened to a lesson called "Laying Down the Rails" by Sonya Schafer.  It is an overview of her book by the same name which summarizes Charlotte Mason's series for educators.  I listened to it on the 3 hour drive from Warner-Robins, Georgia to Montgomery with my kids.  


It's about building good habits in your kids.  Not just any habits - character habits.  The three biggies?  Attention, Obedience, and Truthfulness.  Whamo!  
As to my own truthfulness, let me say that I have been feeling like an utter failure as a parent lately.  There are days I'm sorry I ever took one or both of my kids out in public.  There are days I wish I could lock them in their rooms and go somewhere, nowhere in particular, by myself.  Where did these kids come from?

Haven't I been trying to teach them to obey?  Haven't I read them the scriptures on obeying your parents!  Haven't I instilled consequences for disobeying?  Haven't I yelled loudly enough?  For crying out loud!  

In her lecture, Sonya says we can take 6-8 weeks working on a new habit.  How about 6-8 years?  
Maybe I should read the whole book now.  When my kids are locked in their rooms. 



1 comment:

  1. Miss seeing you, sweet friend! I have a confessions of a homeschool mom post coming up soon, too :)

    ReplyDelete