Friday, February 8, 2013

Our Egyptian Boats

In January, I made the switch to a new curriculum for us - My Father's World.  
For the past two weeks, we have been exploring Ancient Egypt and have enjoyed some fun activities while there.  Last week, we tried writing our names in hieroglyphics on sugar cookies; fun, but definitely more of a process than a product.
This week, we tried our hands at Ancient Egyptian Boats.
We're using the book Make it Work! Ancient Egypt.
   We didn't exactly follow this book's suggestion for making our own reed boat as it was rather complicated.  Instead, we followed the MFW suggestion for using cardboard.  While the MFW writers suggested cutting out corrugated cardboard layers, I thought I'd save some hand muscles and time by using old cereal boxes.  We had plenty of them, and they are easier on the scissors and fingers than thicker cardboard. 
I love that all of our boats were different.   Look.
This is art our way - messy, serious, and fun, too!

Z's finished boat.  He made both upper and lower decks with a trap door (which you can kind of see on the upper right deck) to catch pirates. 

E's finished boat.  She made a special canopy so the animals would have shade. 

Here are all three of our boats decked out with some Ancient Egypt figures from the Ancient Egypt Toob, as well as some non-ancient cats and other animals. 
 The best part?  The kids are now playing together with their boats and figures.  Now, that's what I consider a successful day.

1 comment:

  1. Cute! This would have been cool to do when we studied Egypt at the beginning of the year :)

    ReplyDelete