Friday, September 13, 2013

A Mid-Week Diversion

Tuesday night, I decided that we needed a little break from our routine.  Tensions had been getting a little high and spirits were falling.  What should we do?

Callaway Gardens came to mind. It's a large park in Pine Mountain, Georgia filled with gardens, a couple of lakes, trails, a butterfly pavilion, and other things.  We had never been there, even though it was only about a 90 minute's drive from home.  There is usually a cost to get in (which might have led me somewhere else on Wednesday), but in honor of September 11th, admission was free!  With that, I knew we had to go there.  

Mind you, just because we were taking off for fun, the tensions did not completely melt away.  We had bickering, grumpiness, and disappointments which started before we even left the driveway.  That's life.  I cut our adventure short to make it home in time for our regular afternoon sports, which decision I now regret.  A day off should be a day OFF!  I'll have to give myself a second chance some day soon.
We saw some beautiful sights and had a memorable day in the midst of it all.  Before we left, we all agreed we'd have to come back to see and do more at this new place - especially when they have their Christmas lights display!  

Z is trying to feed the turtles in the water before the fish steal the food.


September is Blue Morpho month at the Day Butterfly Center

These butterflies hardly stopped fluttering, but this one actually landed on Z's shorts for a minute. 

At the Birds of Prey show, the birds flew back and forth right over our heads!  It was the coolest birds show we've ever seen. This hawk had been injured while catching road prey.

Check out this handsome Black Vulture.



I'd love to know what the rest of you do when your "class" needs a break, so feel free to leave a comment.  Then, if you want to see highlights from other home-schooling families, check out the Weekly Wrap-Up from Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers here

1 comment:

  1. When my 'class' needs a break we just relax. Maybe because I work outside the home I really need the extra sleep, but I find the kids do also. I let them just pittle around the house and I go take a nap. I find that when moms in the 'right' mood, the kids usually fall in line.

    ReplyDelete