| Organic potato roots were very full! |
First, I found out that our grocery store does not even sell organic potatoes. We found them at the local natural food store. I must say, the organic sweet potatoes are redder than the non-organic ones, but they are also smaller.
Second, this experiment takes a LONG time; months even. In fact, I was about to throw out the potatoes after two months when I noticed that one of them had some roots just starting to peek through.
Third, though we hypothesized, based on the video we saw, that the organic potato would thrive over the non-organic one, the first one to sprout roots and later leaves was the Non-Organic one! Really. Talk about a hypothesis buster. (I was going to say a myth buster, but I don't think our hypothesis was really a myth; more of a presumption.)
This is more or less what the two potatoes looked like after 3 months. The one on the left, with barely a leaf bud but plenty of roots in the water, is the organic one.
Here it is a little closer. See how the leaves are just starting to grow?
This potato grew like crazy once it started to grow at all.
Plenty of roots, too.
What does this all mean? Did the non-organic potato thrive because the pesticides made it more resilient? Did the organic one fail to thrive because I put it in a green container instead of a clear one? I do not know, but it was fun to compare them. I feel bad that we had to throw them out in the end, especially because the organic one cost about twice as much as the other one.
No comments:
Post a Comment