Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Why School?

If you follow my family blog then you already know that Zachary is now going to school.  If you know Zachary,  you are not surprised.  He is always looking for the best beat to march to.  I suppose he takes after me a little - always looking for the best this or that.  
If you know anything about Montessori, you may not think he's really going to school at all; more of an extended field trip.  Charles would say it's more like a hippie school with its focus on nature study and lack of homework  (though there is some homework).  I think it's more of home-school away from home.  The kids have tables they can use, but no desks.  They work at their ability level, not their age level. His class consists of 20 kids between 6 and 12 years old.  They are adjacent to a working farm where they spend at least 2 hours a week.  They encourage healthy lunches from home - no junk food please!  The only thing not so "hippie" about it is that isn't free.
Here's a link to their facebook page where you can find some pictures of Zachary at his school.  
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.258534840845710.76736.220056948026833
Now, I have not changed my mind about the greatness of home-schooling my kids.  I still think it's my obligation to them and to God.  But for now, my son needed something different, and I think I have found the best place for him to get what he needs while still obeying the Lord in my obligations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment