Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Christmas Books!
Here is a list of some of our Christmas favorites: books! I started packing them away with the other Christmas decorations, and it's a big treat for the kids when they open the box of Christmas books and see some old favorite friends. Maybe some of these are on your list of favorites. If not, maybe they should be.
1. The Pine Tree Parable by Liz Curtis Higgs. It's one of a series of seasonal books by the author based on a farmer and his family. In this one, the farmer's family sells Pine trees every year, but keeps one as its favorite. When a poor family drives up just to look because they can't even afford the Charlie Brown tree, the farmer's wife gives her favorite tree away. Very spiritual.
2. Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Karma Wilson. This story is about a hibernating bear who always misses Christmas, but whose friends are determined to help him enjoy one this year. It's a feel good hit.
3. Santa's Favorite Story by Hisako Aoki. This is a don't-miss! Santa tells his forest friends that Christmas isn't about his presents, but about God's gift in Jesus. It's just wonderful!
4. Saint Nicholas, The Real Story of the Christmas Legend by Julie Stiegemeyer takes us to Turkey and the original Nicholas who gave to others because Jesus gave to us all. It takes the silliness out of the Santa Claus hype. We learned in this book about St. Nicholas Day, Dec. 6th, which celebrates the man's birthday. The tradition is to leave your shoes outside to be filled with chocolate coins on Dec. 6th. Ok.
5. The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey by Susan Wojciechowski. Do you know this one about the town loner/woodcarver who reluctantly re-creates a nativity set for a new widow and her son, giving them hope for happiness? It's a sentimental classic in the making.
6. How the Grinch Stole Christmas. It stands alone.
7. The Twelve Days of Christmas by Hilary Knight. The story in this one isn't in the words but in the pictures. Every year we enjoy following the forest animals (why so many forest animals in these books?) as they get ready for a big Christmas party.
8. Any version of The Nutcracker. We do like Barbie in the Nutcracker, but it's a little different from some of the traditional Nutcracker stories.
We have many more, but I'm not going to list two others just to make it to ten. Eight is a good number when having favorites. In fact, Eight is Enough (any other old-timers like me remember that one?).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I used to watch 8 is enough reruns if that makes you feel better :) girl - how bout I have this book of Christmas fairy tales that i got in the discard pile from the library. Today I decided to read the Christmas cuckoo. Longest. Story. Ever. I read for 30 mins straight and I still wasn't finished. I was putting myself to sleep so I had to stop. Hoping we finish the story, not even the book tomorrow.
ReplyDelete