Earlier this month, E and I ventured out on a nature walk a la Handbook of Nature Study. I had two Outdoor Hour Challenges ready to go: Chickadees and Twigs. Before heading out, E and I read up on Chickadees, listened to a sample of their song, and grabbed our binoculars.
Well, on to topic number 2. Let's find 3 different types of twigs. That wasn't hard.
Here they are. See that? We even found an extra.
What did we do with them? We observed their buds for alternate or opposite arrangement. We placed them in water to see if anything would develop over time. Nothing did.
And E sketched them for her nature journal. Hey! We're getting the hang of this.

In the following weeks, we still didn't find any chickadees. I'm thinking since they are winter birds, they are simply confused by the un-wintery weather we have had.
Come to think of it, so am I!

We need to bring back nature study field trips. This morning we saw a few cardinals, a blue bird, some mockingbirds and some house wrens.
ReplyDelete