Remember how excited I was when we started our unit on The Hatmaker's Sign covering Thomas Jefferson and some American Revolution?
The excitement continues. This week we moved a little past the Revolution to Jefferson's presidency with a unit on Lewis and Clark using this cool book. It is a short chapter book told through Meriwether Lewis's dog, Seaman. It's similar to a shorter book called Seaman's Journal which E had read before.
I LOVE unit studies. We read great books and connect them to geography, history, science, sometimes math, and life.
In addition to our core units from Five in a Row, there are some wonderful and talented home-school moms out there who love unit studies so much that they create their own studies and post them online for other moms to use - for FREE!
I found an excellent one for Lewis and Clark and Me at HomeschoolShare.com. If you have never seen these, or are just curious about them, here is the one I'm currently using.
So far, we've learned about Newfoundland dogs, found the Mississippi, Missouri, and Ohio rivers on a map, and learned that some squirrels can swim! And we're only in chapter 2.


No comments:
Post a Comment