Friday, June 1, 2012

A "Real" Last Day of School

May 31, 2012 
marked the end of our one year trial of "real" school for Zachary, who thought he was missing something by not going to a school.  
After a school year of joys and STRUGGLES, I still wasn't surprised that on the way to school he said he wanted to go back again next year.  What?!  
In the emotion of saying good-byes, he forgot the mornings when he'd cry and yell that he hated school and wanted to be home-schooled again.  The kid missed 17 days of school in just one semester!  And we were late 30 days.  We are not good morning folks.
So, I asked Z what he learned he was missing when he didn't go to school that he found at school.  His answers were friends at school and getting up early which he did NOT like.  
He did enjoy what they called Farm Class about once a week, though he was reluctant to admit it.  However, we may have the opportunity to have a home-school farm class at the same farm with the same farmer in the coming school year.  Maybe that will fill part of his need to be in school.  
I am happy to have the chance to teach my boy again.  I'll admit, he doesn't always make it easy.  That just means that I have some learning to do, too!  
Welcome  home, Zachary.  

1 comment: